Protection From Sooty Mold

Sooty mold is a black, sooty residue on leaves. Sooty mold is unsightly and occasionally alarming, but it is not particularly harmful. These common molds are not feeding on the leaf but rather on sugars deposited by any of a variety of insects. Aphids, whiteflies, mealy bugs and scale insects are the most popular culprits. As these insects suck juices from the leaf, they deposit a sticky, sugary substance. You may have noticed the sooty mold on leaves or on your windshield when you park under a tree. As fungi feed on the sugar, the characteristic black growth is created. Once the source of trouble is eliminated, the sooty mold can be washed off the leaves. Our tree and shrub care program can help by controlling these damaging insects. With regular treatment (and service calls if needed) we can keep your plants healthier and cleaner. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Residential Lawn Services

Keep your lawn and landscape healthy and green – the envy of the whole neighborhood.

Commercial Lawn Services

From office buildings to sports turf, our flexible programs keep all properties looking their best.
Scroll to Top