King GREEN has a number of helpful tips for winter lawn care.
- Do not skip King GREEN applications during the cooler months. We have designed our program to give you optimum results during all the different seasons we experience in the south.
- Raise your mowing height one level on Bermuda grass and Zoysia grass.
- Although Bermuda and Zoysia go dormant during the winter months, a winter lawn still needs to be maintained. You should mow Bermuda, Zoysia and Fescue grass about once a month during these cool months. Remember to sharpen your blade, and also change your mowing pattern often. This practice allows for a healthier turf.
- Keep the leaves OFF the lawn. This is very important, not only in the winter, but also during the spring and summer. Heavy leaf cover can cause disease and damage to your turf.
- Look for small landscaping projects. You might have an area where grass does not grow as well as other areas of your landscape. Your best course of action-don’t fight it, get rid of it. There are plenty of plants that grow well in the shade, and there is always the option of extending your beds.
- Use soil amendments with abundance. Red clay just isn’t a good medium for having a healthy lawn and landscape.
- Drainage issues usually appear in the winter months. Keep an eye on your lawn and landscape. If drainage issues arise, now is the time to install a dry stream bed using river rocks. You can also add plants like Hostas and Ferns.
- Winter is absolutely the best time to buy and plant landscape materials.
If you have any questions regarding care for your winter lawn or landscape, please do not hesitate to give us a call. Whether for your commercial lawn care needs or personal, we are here to answer your questions.